Friday, September 19, 2014

CSC165 Lecture One

The first lecture gave me confusion, but it also taught me how to approach the problems. After the brief review of the course outline, the professor started to talk about precision. In this section, we learned how much precision is important towards computer programming. To be precise, words have to have restricted meaning that is specific for specific tasks. I had no problem understand this concept, until we were shown the python programs. Since I had no  experience in programming, I could not find the connection between first and second half of the lecture. Also, I forgot some of the mathematical notations, so that pulled my leg too, but the next slides helped me figure out the problems on precision. It was the concept of "problem solving". The first process was to understand the problem, such as analyzing what is given or what is required. Next step is to plan, and carrying it out. Then in the end, check the solution. When I went back to the residence, I tried out this method to the examples that I did not understand in the class. I read the statement again and looked for phrases that is important. It included words such as "all", "any", "not", "true" and "false". This helped me translate python language into human language. Then I was able to understand what the question was asking for and led me to understand the concepts.
There were two main skills that I learned by facing the problems. First skill is to asses the question. Instead of getting confused by the statements that I do not understand, I can analyze it. By being calm and doing processes step by step, it led me to the solution. Another skill is to translating python language into human language. This skill could help me when I have to write a program. This may help me to express my codes efficiently, making many errors.
First week of lecture were challenging, but also left me achievement.

No comments:

Post a Comment